Friday, April 30, 2010

Why Do We Try to Stay up There if it's So Dangerous?

I just read Tracy Ford's article on RCR Wireless regarding Steve Jobs and Apple, and thought about how scary it is to be on top.

"Is anyone else a little tired of Steve Jobs?, the el jefe of the all things that start with i?"

I laughed, and then, I realized how much I talk about running, my family, DIDX, conferences, and the books I love. My deep curiosity for research and play keep me honest here ... usually. I do become a pompous nitwit at times, but usually the open source community rebels cure me of that each time.

"More black turtlenecks to buy?"

I wanted to argue with her. What's wrong with a fashion statement? PTC-goers wear Hawaiian print. Astricon-goers wear moustaches and sunglasses. ITW-goers are all Matrix look-a-likes. ITEXPO-goers are an exception to this rule. They are an eclectic mix. CommunicAsia-goers are covered in gadgets. Mark wears "Kill Bill" shirt.

"And then my sister has turned Mac freak and calls me to gush about her latest purchase. And then I overheard my daughter (who has the iTouch) say she wants an iPad, well, the backlash just continues to climb."

I wanted to agree with her. My husband acts like he'll melt if he touches anything non-Apple. He reminds of the aliens in "Rain, Rain, Go Away" by Isaac Asimov.

"All I can say is Go HP! Go Moto! Go HTC! Go LG! Go Samsung! Go Nokia! Go RIM! Go Sony-Ericsson! If I know anything about this industry it is that the mighty can fall. AT&T Wireless messed up local number portability and had to put itself up for sale. This industry is rife with stories of one misstep -- and BAM – someone steals your spot in line. It's time for some line-stealing, I say."

I can see all sides, I think? But maybe not when I'm in the middle of a "who-know's what" obsession for something I'm currently GaGa about. 

Tevye, one of my favorite movie characters of all time asks, "Why do we stay up there if it's so dangerous?"


... browse some of our team's other blogs at http://blogs.didx.net/ and http://blog.tmcnet.com/monetizing-ip-communications/. Find out how to get your telephone company to offer phone numbers from around the world. You're welcome to comment, contribute, and collaborate any time.

No comments: