VoIP Supply's Nicole Schuman is running a series of Women in voIP blog posts, and I can't wait to read about all of them. She started off with me and if she just knew how controversial our company has been since 1999 in the telecommunications worldwide, she might have started with someone else. Just search DIDX on the Asterisk-Biz forum.
I spent a lot of time with ladies in the voIP industry this past week during International Telecoms Week and Global Telecommunications Management conferences in Washington DC: Dunia Campos of DIDX in Ecuador; Jessica Ruiz of DIDX in Mexico City; Noreen Schneider of San Diego; Ruth Li of XO Communications; Debbie Grasso of Paetec, Brooke Afick of Bezeq International via phone... yikes we never connected, next time, and many more.
There is a growing trend of women in voIP, in the technical, management, and entrepreneurial positions. I remember the first IP-related shows I attended were Spring Internet World and ITExpo 2000 and 2001. I don't remember any women at any of them except those who were accompanying their husbands who work in the telecom industry or the hostesses and models at booths.
Want to learn about voIP, get certification and more. Try some of the following:
1. The National Association of Communication Systems Engineers (NACSE) is a non-profit, vendor neutral, credential neutral professional organization for IT experts in the world. NACSE is an industry leader in providing a clear and unbiased standard of measurement of the skills of its certified members. They do offer Certified voIP Training. See http://www.nacse.com/.
2. voIP-Info, voIP WIKI, reference guide to all things voIP at http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/
3. Asterisk-Biz list at http://lists.digium.com/mailman/listinfo/asterisk-biz, but lurk for at least a month before you start posting to attempt to understand the accepted protocol.
4. Digium Asterisk Training and Bootcamps at http://www.digium.com/en/training/
5. Webinairs of Fonality, FierceVoIP, and TMCnet...
I'll add more sources to this list as there is time. It's 7:54 AM on June 11, 2008 and I must start working. See y'all at NXTcomm08 next week in Las Vegas, NV June 16 - 20. Sign up at http://www.nxtcommshow.com with the code DIVS. I'm not sure when the last day is that you can use that code to get free Expo Plus passes or discount on full conference passes. Contact me about the DIDX Dinner Party during NXTcomm08 at care @ didx.net.
Before you leave, take a look at the first blog on women in voIP at http://blog.voipsupply.com/voip-commentary/women-in-voip-continuesdidx-mastermind-suzanne-bowen and get ready for more from Nicole and VoIP Supply and more to come.