Monday, August 17, 2009

My Boss is Me and I'm Not Slowing Down for Her

Age. What images are created in your mind when you hear that word? I recently heard someone say they were worried about what their boss was going to do as they age and slow down.

Age and slow down? Is there such a thing? I can't speak for others, but I can speak myself and my husband will vouch for me. I used to work Monday - Friday about 6 AM - 6 PM and then start back about 8 PM - 10 PM and I would work another 16 hours or so over the weekend, averaging 80 hours a week. I very rarely complained, and when I did, it only irritated others. But ah! yes! Muaah!

We finally hired more qualified personnel, and I was able to relieve myself of tasks that do not come natural to me and pass to those whom they do. More than ever, I am enjoying our work at Super Technologies, Inc. because I have more time for my family and friends. In addition, the work I do now is what I am good at doing: publicity, marketing, writing, speaking, developing business.

I am definitely not slowing down. The time I used to spend poring over financial records and trying to solve technical problems I didn't understand, I am now reading more, taking my time to *research before writing. I am getting to know the fantastic and inspiring entrepreneurs and businesses all over the world via podcasts, video interviews and face to face at conferences and as a result, delivering content people are actually interesting in!

I finally have the chance to do the things that I always thought are important in business: showcasing the utter veracity, innovation and intelligence among men and women who are our clients, suppliers and vertical or horizontal "partners" in our IP communications social media "industry." I couldn't be happier in profession and career.

When I'm not working, I'm running, biking, doing yoga, playing with grandchildren, discussing books with daughter-in-law, herbal gardening, experimenting with eBay, working on a couple books that I may never finish, checking on all my adopted sons and daughters who work with me.

*Regarding research before writing... people think that writing is not work. If you love it, it doesn't feel like working, but it takes work to produce a piece worth reading, content worth passing on. Which reminds me, I have two very important pieces of writing that are taking much research and thought so that I wish I could work with no interruption for at least 3 days in a row to get them done:

1. The white paper/case study on Fax over IP DID and the demonstrations of this at the ITEXPO West Sept 1-3, 2009 conference, specifically at the DIDXchange booth 125

2. The speech or presentation I'll give at ITEXPO West 2009 in Los Angeles where we are a media partner and exhibitor, basically about "The Natural Fit of Social Media and Business" or something like that

My boss is me, and I'm not slowing down for her. ;-D Next race goal is the Mardi Gras Rock 'n' Roll 1/2 Marathon in New Orleans on Feb. 28, 2010.

... browse some of our team's other blogs at http://blogs.didx.net and http://blog.tmcnet.com/monetizing-ip-communications/. You're welcome to comment, contribute, and collaborate any time.

No comments: