Monday, September 17, 2007

Jeff Pulver and Real-Time Social Communications

I received an exciting email from Jeff Pulver (a guy we would never define as digitally smug... he makes you all feel welcome) this morning. In fact, it is likely that you received it, too. I'm adding my own invitation to the world to attend Fall VON in Boston Oct 30 - Nov 2, 2007. While at VON, come visit with me from DIDXchange and Daniel Berninger of Freeworlddialup at booth 1263. Sign up now.

Jeff Pulver's communication: "For over a decade I have spoken about the fact that "Internet Communications" was not just about "voice." And that our VON Conferences were for the people who wanted to know what happens as a result of the continuing growth of pervasive broadband penetration combined with advances in Moore's Law.

Back in 1997, VON was the birthplace for the VoIP Industry as we know it today. And over time, we provided shelter for the evolving world of Presence and Instant Messaging and most recently, the emerging world of Video on the Net. I recently turned my attention this summer to Social Media and "Real-Time Social Communications," and I can not help but smile, because NOW, real-time social communications is as close to the original vision I had for Internet Communications all those years ago. It means to me that the original tag line for VON was the correct one: VON is the home for the Internet Communications Industry, and it is a place where our friends from the evolving world of Social Media are invited to come and join us at.

Anyone who has spent time this summer on Facebook and/or twitter or a variety of other social media platforms, knows how sometimes a platform can just feel "alive." It is a world where status messages blur together and turn asynchronous communications into synchronous. A world where feelings of community are communicated by other things as well as voice. It is where your presence is felt by your friends regardless of their location around the world.

Some of the people who have heard me over the years make the statement that Internet Communications is not just about voice might have a better perspective on what I was thinking about way back then. For years, despite my own best efforts, Internet Communications and VoIP were tied together in the minds of many. I remember trying to explain to regulators why the advent of Internet communications wasn't a threat to the established voice communications companies because what I envisioned represented communications which would have not happened without the Internet's power to enable such modes of communication. The continued growth of real-time social communications will continue to help bring people together and provide opportunities to share many things including: presence, community, context and a feeling of connectedness without borders, connecting people with people from any spot in the world with each other.

I am looking forward to having a platform and speaking at Fall 2007 VON where I will be sharing my perspective on the future of Internet Communications as we know it today.

And I hope to see YOU in Boston the week of October 29th. Should be an exciting one for everyone who has a vested interested in the future of Internet Communications...

Please feel free to share this information with other members on your team. And please feel free to connect with me on both Facebook ( http://tinyurl.com/ywb5t8) and on twitter (http://twitter.com/jeffpulver)."

Feel free to add me to your Facebook network at http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=586485349. If you don't have a Facebook account, just sign up at http://www.facebook.com! It's the place to network for business, to stay in touch with family and friends, to choose applications best for you, join and create groups and more. BTW, FWD Freeworlddialup is offering a super application My Voicemail on Facebook!

DIDXchange is a media sponsor for Fall VON 2007. Meet with me and also Daniel Berninger of FWD at booth 1263.

No comments: